From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of korbamukesh
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 2:25 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] UGC grants for making colleges accessible

hello,
 As our learned member said that “Symbiosis is pretty open to provide
accessibility in all forms to all
disabled students.  There are few members of access india who is currently
studying at Symbiosis and I myself passed from symbiosis (SCMHRD Pune).
They are indeed very supportive and cooperative.”
In this regard, I would like to kindly inform you that Symbiosis
(SCMHRD) as refered by our learned member  Established under Section 3
of the UGC Act 1956, by notification No. F.9-12/2006 U.3 of Government
of India
While SCDL where I am presently studying is  institute by Distance
Education Council (DEC), Govt. of India.
The DEC which has been set up by the Govt. of India under an Act of
Parliament for recognition of open and distance learning institutes in
India.
So I would like to say that it is very good to know that the people
including management of SCMHRD are very good and  cooperative.

My institution scdl, has adopted the patern of giving examination
through online from selected  examination centres in India. Since we
can operate computer with the help of accessible information
technology like screen readers I want to have screen reader facility
availed for writing my examinations. If scdl can offer the facility of
giving the examination online then why visually challenged students
should not get this facility of giving examinations independently? If
they have adopted this method as quick and secured method of appearing
for examination then why should I be lack behind in availing equal
access at par with my sighted colleagues? If independent access can be
ensured by installing the technology like screen reader at their
examination centre for giving examination then why should I take the
assistance for the writer to give my examination?  I perhaps  not
wished to demand to this equal access if they would adopt the
traditional method of giving examination in one’s own hand  writing.

Secondly, scdl has introduced elarning facility on their site and
available in students log in details for presently enrolled students
wherein you can have access to your academic subjects in brief and get
brief knowledge about each concept. The contents of this elearning is
not in detail its just to get acquainted with the subjects you are
studying. So I have suggested that if the textbooks like accounting
and economics witch are very difficult to scan can be made available
in etext form and made available online in our students log in to
maintain copyright protection and restriction use to students access
to the students then it would be easier to study these subjects. I
have asked for working out these suggestions but unfortunately they
have refused to implement the same.

In our students log in scdl have introduced one link called your
inbox where you can communicate with scdl authorities by receiving
mails from scdl, post querries to scdl and keep track of these
communication etc. so to activate the said inbox i have followed the
required steps but unable to log in due to what so ever reasons like
incorrect image verification or wrong password. While informing them
about this technical problem they first suggested me to send the
screen shot of the error   screen so I have sent the same to them. But
now they are refusing to do anything saying that we can’t do anything
it must be some problem at your end and it must be rectified at your
end only.

So I would like to have the kind attention of all the learned member
on this list as to whether I am wrong in asking my queries or not.

Your kind cooperation in this regard is highly solicited.
Thanks,
Regards,
Mukesh.

On 1/25/10, Mohammed Asif iqbal <asifmaiq...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> Symbiosis is pretty open to provide accessibility in all forms to all
> disabled students.  There are few members of access india who is currently
> studying at Symbiosis and I myself passed from symbiosis (SCMHRD Pune).
> They are indeed very supportive and cooperative.
> Thanks and regards
> Asif

DEC