To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] disability field in sensus

Subramani,

My concern is rather different, and not due the fact that I have a negative
opinion about disability. My concern is more about profiling. For example,
India does not have an non-discrimination law that prohibits the private
sector from discrimination on the basis of disability. Now, keep in mind
that we will live in a world where, as you rightly put it, the world at
large views people with disability as people with "lesser" capability. As
more and more services can be procured online, it is entirely possible that
the private sector may stop providing services to people with disability
(since they view this group as a higher risk) especially where services can
be purchased online and payment made later with credit cards etc.

Another extreme example where the UID would be problematic. In Hitler's
Germany, all the Jews were initially required to wear yellow stars on their
clothing to be identified easily. Later, it became easy to send Jews to
concentration camps because of the profiling done earlier. I am not saying
that in this day and age people with disability are going to be gassed. But I am somehow not comfortable with this information being available publicly.
I feel the same way about my religion (or in my case the lack of it:-),
earnings and other personal details. All this falls within the ambit of
information I consider private and I should have the option to disclose this
information and this information should not be automatically available
publicly.

Cheers,

Rahul