Disabled sportspersons protest outside sports ministry
PTI
Wednesday, May 12, 2010 18:59 IST
New Delhi: Disabled sportspersons today staged a protest outside the
sports ministry here alleging corruption in the management of disability
sport.
They claimed sports minister MS Gill promised them that he will appoint
a two member committee to probe into alleged irregularities in the
Paralympics Committee of India (PCI) and investigate further before
taking any major step.

A number of disabled sportsmen and activists led by Disabled Rights
Group (DRG) convener Javed Abidi staged the protest and later met Gill
at his residence.

Abidi said, "It is disappointing to see that even after receiving
hundreds of complaints from disabled athletes, the minister is not
convinced of the deep rooted corruption that exists between the
officials of the sports ministry and PCI."

These athletes, who aim to participate in the Commonwealth Games, have
been complaining about no training, leaving them doubtful about India's
performance in disability sports during the games.

The upcoming Commonwealth Games will showcase as many as 15 disability
sporting events, from athletics to swimming to table tennis. Out of
these 15, India is not participating in 4 sporting events.

"Although we do not have much time to lose, we will wait for the
minister to respond and will take our next step only after a week," said
Abidi.

Source: Press Trust of India

Regards,
Vishnu

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS, its
associated companies and/ or its customers and is intended
for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential or
recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded
to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination
of this information in any manner is strictly
prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at
mailmas...@mphasis.com and delete this mail from your records.