Kanchan
I do understand your perception of the matter.
However, let me clarify a bit:
1. SSC in this case refers to staff selection commission and not Maharashtra
SSC board.
2. We know that it is a central government body and so for Maharashtra
guidelines to apply, we would have to run into controversy.
3. Yes, there was discussion in AI about SSC scribe last week and everyone was
assured that SSC provides the scribe. This was based on the practice of
imposing scribe followed hitherto, and I have found out it was followed this
year also at some centers across India.
In fact, form also  contained column for scribe giving rise to presumption that
this year also same practice of invariably providing random scribes would be
followed. We  made candidates accept it provisionally because we are impotent
as a group and have not been able to effect any change in scribe policy
hitherto.

I don't know why the members are not sharing their experiences this year.

4. I am well aware of Maharashtra guidelines and in fact was instrumental in
drafting them.

5. Your contention that we were not proactive is misconceived.
Any blind person is well aware how tough  is it to arrange good scribe at
eleventh  hour, and I did it for him, but flat refusal of center authorities to
permit him to write the exam because reporting time was over, made me intervene
in my usual way when things reach extreme. I am glad I could make a difference
in a case and he was permitted to take the exam, though in rangling and
arranging scribe, he lost extra time.

Approaching court is not possible for every blind and in every case.
And, yes, I am also cynical about judiciary......

Regards

                                        --Arthur C. Clarke

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,