However, it is not the travel cost the superior is worried about, but what he calls the sense of embarrassment if the employee is holding someone's hand. had it been the issue of travel cost, it could have been discussed openly and clearly. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Geetha Shamanna" <gee...@millernorbert.de>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior

The situation here in England is very different. The government pays for
support workers and assisted travel, and the employer does not have to bear the support worker's travel costs. But asking for an assistant in India whom
one can take along to the US at the cost of the employer sounds a little
far-fetched. And excessive dependence on colleagues is not desirable.

It is true that Mahesh deserves to go since he is the most qualified and the
most senior person. It is also true that employers should not discriminate
based on blindness. We can have laws passed against it and have the media
write all it can in our favour. Still, for attitudes to change, we have to
be more independent and forthcoming. Building awareness is a difficult and
long-winded process; we have to do our bit by trying to lead more
independent lives  as far as possible.
Geetha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Viraj Kafle" <vka...@gmail.com>