---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Achal Bhagat <achalbha...@yahoo.co.in>
Date: 26 November 2010 01:09
Subject: Open Letter to Ms. Sudha Kaul and Ms. Amita Dhanda
To: Sudha Kaul <sudha.k...@gmail.com>, amitadha...@gmail.com
Cc: syamal...@gmail.com, abid...@gmail.com, acmiin...@gmail.com,
vandanab...@yahoo.com, vandana.gopiku...@thebanyan.org, Alok Sarin <
aloksa...@gmail.com>, manderha...@gmail.com, Vaishnavi Jayakumar <
vaishnavi.jayaku...@inclusiveindia.info>

Open Letter to Dr. Sudha Kaul and Ms. Amita Dhanda,

I write to express to you the anguish of a large section of persons living
with mental illness and their families whose aspirations have been betrayed
by the working draft of the proposed Persons with Disabilities Act. We have
waited with abated breath for this law and now we find that the proposed law
does not even recognize the basic needs of survival of persons living with
mental illness.

In various formal and informal meetings that my colleagues from the
disability sector/ mental health sector and I have had with you over the
last year we have expressed our worry about the incompleteness of the
process and partisan inclination of the process. We have been asked to trust
and work in good faith. We now see a pursuit of ideology has taken over
interpretation of UNCRPD in this proposed draft. Most intellectual debates
have been dismissed patronisingly as our ‘existential anxieties’ or
‘thinking in old paradigm’. And when the pitch has increased to express the
impatience, we have been the called the unruly civil society. We had hoped
that the draft of the new law would assuage all the fears and prove us
wrong. The proposed draft has proven our worst fears right. The legal
consultant has failed to fulfil the expectations that the country had. The
committee unfortunately has not even had the time to reflect on the
evocatively worded but euphemistically circumstantial draft. We hope that it
is as worried as we are about the draft.

Our key worries on the first reading of the draft are the following and they
can only be corrected by rewriting significant parts of the draft.

• It is written as an elite urban centric document. The word rural appears
twelve times in the draft but mostly as an afterthought. The conceptual
framework of the law does not take in to account the needs and realities of
a person living with disability in the rural India.

• It is a document that does not determine the specific state
responsibilities. While it acknowledges the rights, it gives no clear
directions in form of legislated programming for the realization of these
rights.

• While it names many fancy structures as authorities it forgets that no
government structure can function in isolation. The proposed law duplicates
authorities by creating a District Level Commissions while not abolishing
the Local level committees under the National Trust Act. The new law creates
a new set of registered organizations and another Electoral College for
Disability Rights Authority while keeping the Electoral College for the
National Trust alive. The new law leaves the responsibility of human
resource development to individual ministries without changing the role of
RCI. There no link between the governance structures in the new law and the
PRIs. There is no link between the DRA and the Commissioner’s office.

• The new law in the detailing of the National Institute of Universal Design
confuses the concept of Universal Design with the concept of Physical
Accessibility. It goes against the definition of Universal Design in the
convention, which call for the universal design not only of structures but
processes.

• It leaves the onus on the disabled person to seek support and to seek
their entitlements. It does not specify how the state would fulfil its
responsibilities beyond increasing awareness, setting the authorities in
place and taking ‘suitable measures’.

• While the Act sees legal capacity as a principle of the law yet while
writing the chapters on Education, Health, Independent Living, Employment,
Social Security it seems to go back to the assumption of incapacity by
remaining silent on the specific measures that need to be taken to ensure
the realization of these rights for person living with mental illness or
persons with intellectual impairments. There is also a disproportionately
lower number of jobs being reserved for persons living with mental illness,
persons with intellectual impairments and autism. This too seems to be an
assumption of incapacity.

• The National Trust has been intentionally left out of this draft. We
wonder if it should not be considered a conflict of interest. There seems to
be an obvious need to sustain a parallel draft for the National Trust.

• The way the legal capacity chapter has been written in the present draft
is most definitely going to exclude many persons living with mental illness
from all health care systems when they need them the most.  It denies the
existence of mental impairments in mental illness in pursuit of the belief
that all of mental illness is social constructed.

• It denies the possibility that a person living with mental illness or
person living with Intellectual Impairments or a Person living with Autism
may not be able to seek support or may not be take a decision even when all
support is available.

• Under the new Act Persons with Disability will have to seek support. Pray,
how would persons with high support needs do so? The new law makes a
grandiose declaration that the plenary guardianship is abolished with the
passing of this law. Imagine, the day after this law becomes an Act, how
would lives run while the academic exercises of deciding electoral colleges
for the DRA, the Chairpersons, the District Commissions, the Action Plans,
the suitable measures and all the rest of euphemisms and ‘do nothingisms’
gradually sort themselves out? And of course anyone who steps in and tries
to do something for the disabled person can be reported against by any
person walking on the street as violating this law and can be arrested. Is
this the vision of the new paradigm? We wonder why the details of transition
from plenary guardianship and details of ‘what if’ crisis situations have
not been worked out.

• While it will be easy for you to brush aside these arguments by calling us
as supporters of the old paradigm (or calling me a psychiatrist), it is will
be difficult to cite another country which has followed this ruthless
approach to implementing legal capacity. The Convention itself has not ruled
the possibility of substitution in certain situations, while it prefers
supported decision-making. Why is the nuance not brought in to the Indian
Law?

• The new law proposes to criminalize institutional care without creating
alternatives. Nearly 20,000 persons living with mental illness and another
20,000 persons living with intellectual impairments currently live in
Institutions. There are no government run mental health services in nearly
five hundred districts. There are no mental health services in nearly three
hundred districts. Lakhs of people with mental illness have no support
available to them except the acceptance of the family. There is no plan
increase the quality of care in the Institutions. There is no specific plan
to increase the community based mental health interventions and there is no
plan to care for the persons living with mental illness who are homeless.
The community support programs that do not exist today will not erupt
spontaneously with the passing of the law. Lack of treatment also leads to
denial of dignity. Lack of treatment also leads to lack of employment,
furtherance of stigma, furtherance of the assumption of incapacity and
dangerousness. Access to care is a key right of persons living with mental
illness. Lack of care and treatment leads to loss of life and increased
disability. There is enough and more evidence for all this. Yes, it is
important to protect people from the rights violations that are also a
reality. But one cannot be seen as oppositional to the other. The rights are
indivisible. The key reasons why people living with mental illness and
intellectual impairments get abandoned will continue to hound us for years.
Just saying that Institutionalization is a form of violence does not
unfortunately change anything for persons living with mental illness unless
there is a legislated time bound process to create alternatives.

• The new law proposes to criminalize the service provider and the family
for providing treatment of persons living with mental illness even when (due
to mental impairment) the person may be a risk to themselves or a clear and
present danger to others.

• The proposed draft does not address the issue of diminished criminal
responsibility when the person with mental or intellectual impairment may
not have understood the fact they may be committing a crime.

• The proposed new law potentially criminalizes all the service providers
including family by criminalizing neglect.

We have heard and used the word ‘nightmares’ after the first reading of the
draft. It is unfortunate that what could have moment of celebration is
turning out to be a moment of mistrust and fear. We would still request the
committee to constitute (or shall we say reconstitute) the legal panel, to
review the work of the legal consultant. We would also request the committee
to compare the proposed draft not with its opinions but with a set of
parameters of UNCRPD and the use the Handbook of Parliamentarians as
guidance. We would urge the committee to have a meeting with the members of
the Mental Health sector to listen to our real worries. Please do not brush
aside what is a matter of life and death as just patriarchal concern. We
beseech to you not to send a stock ‘hum dekh rahe hain, aur age bhi
dekhenge’ reply.

With warm regards,

Achal Bhagat

*Director, *
*SAARTHAK*
*Development * Rights * Mental Health*
Room F 18 - 20
2 Balbir Saxena Marg, Hauz Khas, New Delhi 110016
011-32517186