Hi,

I quite agree about iOS devices. Apple has drastically changed the accessibility
 Landscape. Recognizing logos, barcodes, colors, voice dictation, watching
videos, reading ebooks, listening to audiobooks, using calculators, checking
emails, browsing websites, reading news, getting information about stocks- I
can do all this and much more.

But I wouldn’t dismiss Nokia, whether on Symbian or Meego just yet. Nokia may
stil have a couple of aces up its sleeve. It would be up to third party screen
reader developers to innovate along with the newer changes that Nokia comes up
with and that could even mean charging more.
Of course, it wouldn’t be as good as the iOS devices.

Android has a lot of future potential when it comes to accessibility. Even with
the current limitations of the accessibility API, it offers better options in
terms of GPS as well as speech recognition than the iPhone.
In fact, an Android based cell phone with a keyboard is currently the only
fully usable GPS solution for the blind right out of the box in India and many
other countries with good Google Maps.
The GPS solutions available on the iPhone mostly come with maps covering
America and Europe. While there are apps that use freely available data that
comes from Google maps on the iPhone, but if you are going to end up using
Google’s data anyway, Android has better apps for this purpose.
One last thing, I personally believe that Google’s accessibility team is doing
the best they can. Introducing accessibility changes lead to security issues
and instability that requires further resources to debug such problems. It
comes down to core kernel developers to decide what goes in and what does not.

Sent from my iPod Touch