Hi,

Good points but I am afraid you are twisting facts a bit here.

First, the two news items about Nokia's tactile feedback and indoor navigation
project are only research ideas. I met with the team who were working on the
indoor navigation project a couple of months ago. It is an excellent idea but
we will never know if any of these efforts see the light of the day. And
anyway, I fail to understand how these projects will help a disabled person use
a mobile phone effectively without paying extra money to do so. The fact of the
matter is Nokia doesn't care enough about Accessibility and if you have proof
to the contrary, I will be glad to see it.

There will always be perceived security vulnerabilities when someone is trying
to develop a screen reader for an environment which doesn't have a platform
accessibility API as they have to resort to a number of unconventional
techniques to get access the kernel. As I understand it, this is what is
happening with the Speakup discussions you pointed me to. And again, Similar
objections will be raised with any application which has to have global
read-write access to certain system files. You may not see such issues coming
up with Orka because Gnome has a couple of ways to expose accessibility
information although they need a complete overhall.

If you worked with the Blackberry platform, you will realise that each and
every component, user setting and anything else under the universe can be
controlled at an enterprise level. For example, an organisation can decide that
all its Blackberry users can only use a single font type and size and they can
make this happen at the server side. Users will have no option to change to a
different font type or size if they wanted to. Similarly, an organisation can
decide what applications their users are allowed to use. In other words, the
organisation has absolute control. This can obviously impact those users who
may have to use assistive technology. So, this security bulletin that you
pointed me to is explaining how to let these users have access to assistive
technology software and the text to speech API at the same time retaining other
security settings. Further, Research in Motion controls who has access to the
Text to Speech API and at the moment, this is restricted to only a couple of
vendors as far as I know. Oratio is one of them. You would know this fact if
you read the security bulletin carefully. This restriction is not because of
security concerns but purely commercial reasons.

Finally, secured PDF. This is easy as I happen to find myself working for the
company who are blamed for inventing the format in the first place <smile>. The
highest security setting in PDF was introduced at one point because certain
technical content publishers were getting text to speech and audio books mixed
up. They thought that listening to a document with a screen reader is akin to
listening to an audio book. This issue was quickly corrected through the
trusted assistive technology programme. I am sure you will be aware of this.
Unfortunately, there are still a few secured PDF files floating around which
were created with older authoring tools which can't tell the difference between
an assistive technology trying to access the PDF DOM from any other
application. Most secured PDF files can now be read by screen readers who are
part of the above mentioned programme.

Last but not least, the idea is not to blame any individual or team at Google
or any other organisation. Accessibility has to be an organisation-wide
initiative. But the best point of contact for any accessibility related issue
is obviously its accessibility team.

Regards,
Kiran