This event goes to show that, 1 should always try to do the things in a novel and unprecedented fashion. Traditional flag hoisting is done everywhere but, as done by this NGO , exhibits the social acceptance of handicap person and their ability to scale new heights in various fields despite their disability.----- Original Message ----- From: "prateek aggarwal" <prateekagarwa...@gmail.com> To: "accessindia" <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>; "rpp-india" <rpp-in...@googlegroups.com>; "youthRI" <yout...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 10:52 AM
Subject: [AI] Blind shot putter hoists Tricolour

While we see those various dignities in the community, following too
is reality sometimes.
I salute the efforts of this valiant girl and her mother. May god
grant  hblessings on her.

---
Blind shot putter hoists Tricolour
Indian express, Fri Jan 28 2011, Ludhiana:
Sixteen-year-old Sandeep Shalu, a shot putter and discus thrower, was
the proud chief guest yesterday in a Republic Day function celebrated
in Sham Nagar by NGO Baba Vishvkarma Dal. Shalu hoisted the National
Flag and, apart from him, nearly 25 other blind students from the
entire state who had won medals in different games were honoured at
the event for their achievements.
While speaking after the flag hoisting ceremony, Shalu made everyone’s
eyes wet when she narrated her story. Shalu said, “My mother is also
visually impaired and my father could not tolerate that her newborn
daughter was also blind. So at the age of three years, I was turned
out of the house along with my mother.”
Jaswinder Kaur, mother of Shalu, said that she was married to a truck
driver in Kila Raipur and her parents belong to Moga. So after her
husband deserted her, she went back to her parents’ place where she
started sending her daughter to a normal school. Over the years,
Shalu’s grandfather and uncle expired and the family came to know
about the vocational rehabilitation centre (VRTC) in Ludhiana. So both
shifted in Ludhiana VRTC about five years back where they are living
free of cost. Shalu is a class 10 student now while her mother is
training as a telephone operator at the centre. Shalu started
practising for discus throw and shot put in VRTC.

Since 2008, Shalu has been participating in discus throw and shot put
and she has won many medals. The most recent one was a bronze medal in
Panchkula in the National Games organised by Indian Blind Association.
Gurpreet Singh, President of Punjab Sports Association, said, “More
than 800 players took part in these games and she won bronze in discus
throw. Apart from this, she had won silver in the 2008 National Games
for blind and several other medals.”
---

regards,
prateek agarwal.
website:
www.prateekagarwal.webs.com

www.prateekagarwal.tk

the best way to get your softwares and websites developed.
you tell, i'll build.