George and others:

I have followed the UID story for some time and --thanks to Mod
Iqbal-- had interacted with the folks who run the show at the ground
level. The idea of having citizen numbers seems plain and simple as
explained by Praveen. I was told that a citizen can either get UID
numbers through regular government channels or through special UID
drives conducted to issue numbers for specific groups such as persons
with disability, SC/ST and others. Though the numbers by itself is
only identity, it would be the best form of authentication if provided
with other documents like ration cards or voter IDs.

Subramani