Hi, besides the places you mentioned, it is difficult to move without escort in small towns and some villages where stray animals like cows and bulls, stray dogs etc. challenge the ability of a totally sightless to move with just a white cane and no escort. It's a reality and i have experienced it. ----- Original Message ----- From: "YADAV, D. N" <yada...@iocl.co.in>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [AI] Tips to manage without escort?

Mobility with 'fixed escort' or without one with your cane/no cane is like moving in a familiar world of your own & another unfamiliar to you. White cane can only be a safety tool to prevent your near fall but not a guide as u have to ask directions from others despite your cane.

Recently I had been to a training programme from my office in different location. There everybody (as is vogue today) held his plate in one hand, put things of 5-6 types by his other & then took to eating on standing tables during lunch. I had to fumble my way to the queue starting with the plate point, often getting somebody to fill up with edibles & helping me to the standing table. Where I could answer & raise questions with confidence during our faculty lectures, I felt my confidence was badly shaken in lunch place only depending on others to feed me with their help. Even the lunch place was hundreds of metres away from training ground where reaching could be more than mere fumbling for the place. In such scenario, as often it is with a blind person alone, I always think a fixed escort if you could have it, would be the best option. Your confidence level is very high, you feel at par with your colleagues & have your own world to enjoy without any dependence on new persons for your pleasure of choice. It could be really very harassing asking for help everyone for your needs & feeling bad when society fails to help you in time.

This Message was sent from Indian Oil Messaging Gateway, Refineries HQ, New Delhi, India. The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm