hi Jaison Bellarmine,
if KNFB reader can process the images from a 2 Mega pixel mobile camera, why can't Kurzweil recognise the images taken from a 12 Mega pixel digital camera?

Umesha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jaison Bellarmine" <jaisonay...@gmail.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Digital cameras for scanning books

With regards
Jaison Bellarmine-----Original message-----
From: Umesha Economics
Sent:  2011:10:28, 6:37  pm
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in

hai friend, I do understand your need. But as per my knowledge the portable device is knfb reader which could be used on a mobile. The scanning machine which you mentioned may be the one by freedom scientific. It has a normal size of a scanner and a hard disc. It can only scan and reproduce the same in voice as JAWS does. A few weeks back there was a news about intel. They are about to market portable machines which takes photos and convert them into text. But we have to wait for it. The best available option at present is the apple IPhones which reads text in a cleare voice. But I am not sure whether it can scan and store them. Any way it is very good to read a book.
With regards
Jaison Bellarmine.
Friends,
by digital camera I meant the camera with still images (Photos). As per my
knowledge, all the digital cameras with video recording facility have the
option to take still images. In fact I am experimenting a little bit about
it. your knowledge and experience will add to it greatly.

some of the fellow members mentioned the products like KNFB reader and
others. As the information I got from Ram Agarwal, KNFB reader is no longer available as a stand alone device and it is a software. moreover, I hope no
one will object if I say that those products are expensive to middle class
people. Most of us have Kurzweil, a good user-friendly software. all that
one needs is a device that feeds it with compatible images of printed pages.
We can get a good quality camera for 15000 - 20000 Rs. and it will be
economic when compared to one with 70000 Rs. As you know, Kurzweil does not take long time to recognize images. much of the time is consumed in scanning and it requires lot of patience to hold the books firmly on the scanner bed,
that too, large books like those with 1000 to 1500 pages. in addition to
that, some persons require that the binding of the books borrowed from them
are not damaged.
I don't know about Umax and portable scanner with Karishma. how much time
they take to scan a full A4 page? do they do it in 1 or 2 seconds?

I request all the members to contribute their knowledge on the matter.

Umesha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shona Man" <shonam...@gmail.com>