Dear umesha,
Right, so the root cause for the issue has been pinpointed.
Believe it or not,  people using atheros wi fi adapters are some of
the most frequent complainants of such types of cases.
Athero is cheaper than some of its major competitors, hence many
companies are preferring their hardware in their machines.

The wiggly red lines that you are seeing  are definetly because of the
high latency that its  experiencing.
Technically, that means that the wi fi adapter is taking more
resources than it should actually take.
in regards of solutions,
there does  not seem a complete rectification of this problem, however
driver update can  be of some help.
Try updating the drivers for your athero’s wi fi device  and see if it
makes a difference.
As per  my recent observation,   athero has not been  updating their
drivers for windows xp and most of their latest drivers claims to work
well with vista or windows 7.
However, its worth keeping yours to the latest possible, of course the
one that’s compatible with your operating system.

If that doesn’t work, try reaching to lenovo technical support  and
telling them the problem.
You basically have to inquire if its possible to change the hardware
under your sales term.
It has been seen that these companies have made their legal policies
smart enough to save themselves from any possible hazard. Especially
in the case  of devices and their compatibility with various operating
system.
Someone on the thread has said that a dos based machine  means that
its compatible with any operating system, but I remind of a judgement
given in united states sometime back where it was said that a dos
based machine means that the company has not particularly tested the
machine with different operating systems, hence it would not be
responsible for any hardware compatibility issues.
Legally, whole claim for the compatibility is being smartly averted to
the device manufacturers.

Though you’ve  been condemning to use windows7,  but I would still
like to advice  that  please give it a try at least.
Not just to get acquainted with it, but more importantly to find out
the performance of your audio and wi fi devices with that and check if
a driver update helps there instead.
For your information,  windows 7 has an  xp mode, which pretty much
brings  your old days back.
Also, there are other  fantastic programs  like classic shell etc
which restores your xp experience to quite an extent.

Like it or not, not all the latest devices have enough support
available  for windows xp now, and the reason  behind  this is
Microsoft policies where they have deliberately promoted vista and
windows7 over xp from past few years.
It has been already announced  that the support for windows xp would
no longer be available after 2014, so I personally find this a wise
decision to upgrade the OS, specially if its causing issues to make
compatibility with latest hardware devices.
Oh and some of you guys   have written to me off the list to ask my
contact number.
Those would like to get in touch with me through phone would like to note, its:
+91-9928341197.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Prateek agarwal.