Strange problem.  I think in this case only a pure guess solution can helpyou!!!
One reason could be that your Excel would have gone out of focus. It
happens usually while working on windows.  If this happens, you can
use ALT+TAB to gain focus back to Excel.  You can also make changes to
focus changes in the JAWS settings.  in that case JAWS informs you on
loss of focus.
or, you may find your sheets with the command cTRL+SHIFT+S.
Or, with JAWS sometimes , it happens that when you loose the focus of
the cell that you were working on, it becomes difficult to find the
cell with data with ARROWS.  In that case you can use the command
CTRL+SHIFT+D to list the cells with data for you.  Press ENTER on any
of the item in the list and you will find your data.

HTH

Suman