Persons with disability,  please use this terminology in your communication and
not the word Handicap. Let us respect our own community, I know you did not
mean to offend anyone, please take this as a FYI email.

Better late than ever, the new department should have kicked off long ago! The
recent incidents of discrimination must have flared a few and ruffled some
feathers. The battle has just begun, can't declare a win on the war yet as
there are many milestones and challenges that one has to address for the
disabled community. And looking at the diversity of the community, it is going
to be an uphill task for all of us concerned. This department has to
specifically focus on a few burning issues to name a few:

1. Rights of the disabled.
2. How should discrimination towards the disabled be addressed.
3. Medical and financial support for the disabled or their families, which
should include more health camps and free checkups and awareness building.
4. Educational facilities that encourage an inclusive environment.
5. Identifying and encouraging inclusive work opportunities for the disabled.
6. Providing more provisions and relaxations on taxes and facilities like food,
electricity, water and other utilities.
7. Most important, rural administration for the disabled i.e. not limiting
facilities for the disabled only to the urban areas of the country.

These are afew, I could think of at the top of my head. The list can get
endless understanding the complexity and nature of the disabilities and not to
mention our demography! Praying for a better future for all of us.

Best,
Mujtaba Merchant
Bangalore, India