Extra time through scribe is a must. US department maintains 50% extra time, Indian education system follows one third extra time. If the exam is for theoretical subjects where one just need to write essays one can do without extra time but when there are some numbers, tables or diagrams involved extra time become important.

We need to insist on extra time else universities make it a rule and problem is faced by visually impaired students who will give exams after we pass out. So, question is not for just our passing out, long term scenario should be thought of.

with regards
Avneesh Singh
On 28-03-2012 8:51, Umesha Economics wrote:
UGC is of no use in this case. disability commissioner may come to help. but I don't agree with you that we should not use the both. there are some valid reasons for availing both. the communication between scribe and candidate takes more time than one person writing the exam. if your scribe is slow, as it is usual since he/she is from a lower grade, it adds to the delay. when you are instructing to writing a diagram, it consumes much of time. there are some others as well. so, don't come to a hasty conclusion so easily.

Umesha

----- Original Message ----- From: "Amiyo Biswas" <amiyo.bis...@gmail.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Tuesday, 27 March, 2012 8:56 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Regarding Extra Time in Examinations under UGC Rules.

You are right. Today I advised the candidate to meet the controller of examinations and apply for scribe and extra time. Her brother contacted the UGC office today. They said that each university has its own rules and they cannot interfere in this matter. the Disability Commissioner of West Bengal was also approached. She clearly told that the university is correct. We are not supposed to avail ourselves of both scribe and extra time. We have enjoyed undue facilities so far. Unfortunately, I used both these facilities 25 years back.

I agree with Rajesh. We should ask the Social Justice Ministry to issue a proper guideline immediately. Otherwise we shall have to depend on interpretations of officials and clerks.

Best regards,
Amiyo Biswas