@Umesha - yes that's one of the drawbacks of memorising. Last week I used my
Citibank mastercard debit card to withdraw some cash at a HDFC ATM, but
after several tries I was unable to complete my transaction. I tried to
eject and reinsert the card again and again but I couldn't withdraw the
cash. Fortunately I had my dad with me and he helped me out. He told me that
just after entering the password, the machine is displaying the message -
"dear customer, RS 200/-  will be charged per transaction if this card is
used outside India"
So basically, I had to press OK to bypass the message which I did not expect
because I had not anticipated the occurance of that message. Having said
that, as per the information provided in Wikipedia about ATMs, I remember
reading somewhere within that article that ATMs are driven by a computer
inside the vault, and many ATMs are based on Windows platform. If the
information given there is accurate, then isn't it possible for ATM vendors
to make the ATM application accessible and then install at least NVDA and
provide a 3.5 mm audio jack where the blind can operate the ATMs using a
headphone?

Quoting the para found in the article I'm talking about on Wikipedia -

Today the vast majority of ATMs worldwide use a
Microsoft
 Windows OS, primarily
Windows XP Professional
 or
Windows XP Embedded.
A small number of deployments may still be running older versions of Windows
OS such as
Windows NT,
Windows CE,
or