[AI] Will voting process ever be disabled friendly?how about the use of postal
ballots by the disabled voters? rather than rangling through all these barriers
as a stopgap measure?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: avinash shahi
  To: accessindia
  Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2013 10:06 PM
  Subject: [AI] Will voting process ever be disabled friendly?

  As elections near, the disabled want better arrangements | EPS

  By Meera Bhardwaj
  New Indian Express: 02nd April 2013
  http://newindianexpress.com/cities/bangalore/article1526143.ece
  Seven per cent of the population is physically challenged and out of
  this, nearly 3.5-4 per cent, who are eligible, want to participate in
  the forthcoming election process. However, there is a big question
  unfriendly policies and inaccessible polling booths in many parts of
  the city and state. If you have ever visited a voting booth anytime,
  you can see that there is either no place to sit or even stand and for
  the disabled, entering these places itself is a Herculean task and
  casting their votes without assistance is another difficult task.

  Elections are around the corner and poll fever has already caught up
  with aspirants and other sections of the people what with political
  parties burning the midnight oil to finalise their list of candidates.
  With Bangalore and rest of Karnataka witnessing a single day's poll on
  the 5th of May, hectic days are on the anvil with many citizens
  running from pillar to post to get their voter ID card so as to
  exercise their franchise. But what about the disabled?

  Abhishek, who turned 18 this year, is frantically trying to get a
  voter ID card but it is a big task for him as he needs help to visit
  these centres. "With great difficulty and aided by my friends, I
  visited the centre, but could not get my card because of improper
  documentation. The centre had no ramp and I had to stand in the hot
  sun, which for me was a tough proposition. As it is, the authorities
  are least bothered about the rights of the disabled," he said.

  Krishnamurthy, a bank employee rues the advent of the polling day as
  it is a nightmare standing and waiting with no place to sit or
  assistance to cast their votes. "It is a pain to even enter the booths
  as there are are no ramps and for me, to climb the big steps is pretty
  difficult. Some booths are located in hilly areas, some down in the
  dump and some with no pathways and for the disabled, it is impossible
  to cast their votes. There seems to be no concern or even data
  available with the election authorities regarding the number of
  disabled voters in a particular constituency."

  Sunil Jain cast his vote in the 2008 elections successfully but only
  because he had assistance and somebody who could lift his wheelchair
  and help him to enter the polling booth. But the moot question here is
  : how many people can afford assistance on their own?

  Keeping in view, the problems faced by people with disabilities, Sunil
  and his Astha Foundation is hoping to bring awareness and launch a
  campaign for the rights of the disabled so that they can take part in
  the election process.

  "It is important that this section of the population gets all the
  support, logistical and otherwise, so that they exercise their voting
  rights.

  Through our campaign, we are also hoping to raise awareness levels in
  all the eligible voters for casting their valuable votes and also
  provide any kind of assistance they need," he added.

  While people with disabilities too have the right to cast their votes,
  nobody knows how much action has been taken to empower them to
  exercise their choice.

  The prevailing scenario in our country today is: These people want to
  vote but they are not enrolled in any electoral rolls; they are in the
  electoral list, but neither find any support nor encouragement
  (infrastructure or otherwise) to participate in the democratic
  process; they can go and vote, but they may think that it's not
  important; and further, some people do vote irrespective of facilities
  or not .... they somehow find a way to take part in the exercise.

  "Astha's aim is to make sure that the disabled community too votes.

  After all, even their vote counts and the state and central
  governments should make efforts to make the voting process, whether
  Parliamentary or assembly, disabled friendly," said Sunil.  He further
  added adds that they are planning to meet the chief electoral officer
  of Karnataka and the disability commissioner on the 10th of this month
  to seek their involvement and support so as to empower maximum number
  of people with disability and ultimately having the freedom to choose
  and exercise their right to vote.

  --
  Avinash Shahi
  MPhil Research Scholar