Hello Rahul,

You have a very valid point, body language is critical in public speaking.
There's a reason why it is said that "actions speak louder than words". Tell
me something, do you find nodding your head whenever you answer a question
in affirmative? Or do you find yourself cowering back whenever you feel
threatened or dominated? You see, your body is talking all the time. It
doesn't matter if you're sighted or, low vision, or blind, your body does
communicate. So when you say that you don't make gestures while delivering a
presentations, it just shows that you are not completely relaxed. For
example, when I stood to deliver my first speech, I made two important
discoveries. One, I had two hands, and two, I had no clue what to do with
them. So, I did what every self-respecting school boy does, I folded my
hands and started reciting my speech from memory. I guess that I must have
looked like a talking statue, for I swear, the only things moving in my
body, besides my heart which was beating like an automatic machinegun, were
my lips.  Over a period of time, I have become somewhat better at public
speaking, and in my body language.

So how do you go about working on your body language?

1. Know what you are speaking. It is crucial that you know everything about
your topic of presentation. This does not mean that you memorise your speech
word for word. It just means that you should know your content well enough
that if need be, you should be able to convey the message in your own words.

2. stick to your style. Do you use ornamented language in your day-to-day
interactions? If no, don't use flowery language in your speeches. As the
saying goes, keep it simple silly.

3.  modulate your voice. Ok, this needs some work. Try to modulate your
voice in your regular interactions consciously. Once you start doing this,
modulation will become a habit and will come through in speeches naturally.
This will make your speeches more engaging.

4. Pay attention to your hand gestures, and use them often when you
generally talk to people. This habit will make it easier for you to have an
engaging body language in your presentation.

5. Be relaxed while giving presentations. Don't overburden yourself with
expectations. In fact, think that you are the biggest idiot in the room.
Now, you cannot go any lower in the pecking order, can you? Being freed from
any performance pressure, go ahead and deliver an excellent speech.

Lastly, remember that you should have good content in your presentation. An
ineffective body language will not destroy a presentation, but poor content
will surely do. So have crisp and relevant content.

Warm regards & all the best for your future presentations,

Apoorv