---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Shweta Mishra <shweta.mishra...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 08:45:13 +0530
Subject: [SayEverything] Fwd: [Terry's Computer Tips] April 7, 2013 Newsletter
To: keyboardus...@googlegroups.com
Cc: sayeveryth...@sayeverything.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Terry Stockdale <te...@terryscomputertips.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 21:54:03 -0400
Subject: [Terry's Computer Tips] April 7, 2013 Newsletter
To: Shweta Mishra <shweta.mishra...@gmail.com>

You (shweta.mishra...@gmail.com) subscribed to Terry's Computer Tips on
November 13, 2012 from IP address 14.97.111.61.

To unsubscribe, go to
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?zIysTKyMtKxMDByM7IyMtEa0jBxMDBwsHGw=

Volume 8, Number 41   —   April 7, 2013

Welcome to this issue of my Terry's Computer Tips email newsletter.

Each week, I send my email newsletter to individuals who have
subscribed to the newsletter, and who have confirmed their
subscription request.

Follow me on Twitter! [ http://twitter.com/terrystockdale ]

No Newsletter This Week

Sorry, I've been under the weather (sick) this week and didn't get
any new articles written, so no newletter.

Meanwhile, online, you can enjoy some of the articles from earlier
issues.

Blast From The Past —
A Few Earlier Articles on Terry's Computer Tips

These are some earlier articles that are posted on my Terry's
Computer Tip web site which were originally part of my email
newsletter.

 * Cleaning Up The Start Menu [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/cleaning-up-the-start-menu/
]

 Have you ever noticed that every program wants to install itself
into the Start Menu in its very own line?

The Start Menu quickly balloons as each game adds its own block,
each utility adds each own section, each graphics program, each
communications program, etc. all with their very own listing under
"All Programs"...

If you’ve got a small screen, especially if you use a large
resolution like 800×600, you can quickly get a menu that wraps and
takes up the whole screen — and more!

However, it’s easy to take control of the Start Menu [...]

 * Preventing Auto Window Maximization in Windows 7 [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/preventing-a-windows-7-display-annoyance/
]
Windows 7's automatic window maximization is a pain...

One of the most annoying features of Windows 7, and one that was
meant to be an improvement in usability, is that Win7 will maximize
a window that is moved to the top edge of the Windows Desktop.

What does that mean?  If you left-click on the top bar of a window,
and then drag the window as high on the Windows desktop as you can,
Windows 7 will expand that window to fill the entire desktop when
you let go of the mouse button.

I hate it!  Long ago I had figured out how to stop that on my six
year old notebook (which very successfully ran the Win7 Release
Candidate and then the final version of Win7 [...]

 * Running a Program As Administrator [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/running-a-program-as-administrator/
]

One of the biggest problems with Windows over the years has been
security.

For a long time, Microsoft seemed to consider that businesses
running enterprise-level servers might need security, but that
individual and home users had no need for any such protection.

Fortunately, on day, they woke up to realize that the Internet is a
rough place, with people who want to attack and subvert (or even
just attack and damage) other people's computers and data.  Bill
Gates wrote a letter to Microsoft employees re-focusing them to
security being a priority.

As a result, we have seen Windows versions become more and more
secure [...]

 * Running a Command Window as Administrator in Windows [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/running-a-command-window-as-administrator-in-windows/
]

By default, Windows gives any program that you run the same
privileges as you (the user) have.  Sometimes, that's not enough...

Even if you have an administrator-type account, Windows 7 will try
to protect you if you're run a program that tries to do something
that requires administrator privileges.

At that point, Windows 7 will display a warning dialog box to ask
if you really want to use your administrator privileges to do that
[...]

 * Hotfixes for Excel 2007 Too Many Cell Formats Problem [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/hotfixes-for-excel-2007-too-many-cell-formats-problem/
]

I wrote an earlier article Excel Problem Too Many Cell Formats
Error [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/excel-problem-too-many-cell-formats-error/
] about a problem that I've had with Excel 2007.  In this problem,
I can not copy and paste within a spreadsheet.

The problem is somewhat repeatable — at least, it hits me multiple
times every year, ever since it started occurring.

It happens like this:

 * I start Excel 2007,

 * I open my problem spreadsheet in Excel 2007.  This is a monster
with over 22,000 rows of data, over 100 columns, and runs between
20MB and 40MB in size [...]

 * Multiple Problems When ISP Redirects to Their Cannot-Be-Found
Site [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/communications/cable/multiple-problems-when-isp-redirects-to-their-cannot-be-found-site/
]

I had an interesting exercise with the question from subscriber
Keith.  First, Keith wrote me from an address that was not the
address he used to subscribe to my newsletter.  Generally, that's a
good way to get your question ignored.

But, he started off with a reference to the weekly email
newsletter, so I thought a little more about his question — and
tried to figure out which subscribed email address might be his.

Then, he used an email address in the ".asia" high-level domain,
which I didn't realize existed yet.  So, I decided to follow that
trail first.

The interesting part is that I transposed the letters in his domain
— let'a call it example.asia, but I wrote it as eaxmple.asia.  No
luck with a whois command, no luck with searching for a web site.
I tried to ping it [...]

Forward Me to a Friend!

Thanks for reading! Not a subscriber yet? Like what you've read?

Sign up to get future issues delivered straight to you:

http://www.terryscomputertips.com/subscribe/

As a subscriber to my free email newsletter, I encourage you to
read the issues and, if you like, to forward the entire newsletter
by email to a friend, so that your friend can enjoy it and
subscribe for themselves, too.

However, you are not authorized to publish, post or otherwise
distribute my articles or newsletters on web sites, blogs, forums,
email newsletters, mailing lists, paper newsletters, magazines or
in any other form.

Terry Stockdale

http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

Copyright © 2013 Terry A. Stockdale.  All rights reserved. The
links in this newsletter, including my recommendations, include
advertising, product and service links, for which I may receive
referral commissions.  Please support my newsletter with your
purchases by using these links.

My Security Software Choices

VIPRE Internet Security 2013 [
http://terryscomputertips.com/VIPREInternetSecurity ]
My choice for my computers and my family's computers, too.
Antivirus + Antispyware + Firewall. For Windows XP, Windows
2000SP4, Windows Server 2003/2008, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and
Windows 8, including 64-bit versions.  Try the 30-day free trial...
[ http://terryscomputertips.com/VIPREDL ]

WinPatrol and WinPatrol Plus [ http://www.winpatrol.com ]

I always put WinPatrol on my computers. WinPatrol monitors the
computer for installation of auto-running programs, changes to
certain system settings, allows you to control auto-starting
programs, to delay auto-starting programs, and has many more
functions.  You can choose the free version, but I recommend the
paid version WinPatrol Plus, which includes access to BillP's
database of program information.

Mailwasher Pro [ http://terryscomputertips.com/MailwasherPro ]
Want to keep spam out of your Inbox?  Mailwasher Pro evaluates
emails while they're still on your ISP's mail server, shows you
what it thinks is good and bad, gives you a chance to correct it
and to delete the junk mail before it ever arrives on your
computer. Mailwasher Pro can handle email multiple accounts,
automatically updates, has a real-time spam filter service,
7-day/week tech support, and a lot more.  I've switched my family
to Mailwasher Pro [ http://terryscomputertips.com/MailwasherPro ] —
it's now my anti-spam choice.  30-day free trial.

Alternative Security Choices

VIPRE Antivirus 2013 [ http://terryscomputertips.com/VIPREav ]
GFI's new Antivirus + Antispyware version, without the firewall
(which is in the Internet Security version that I use). For Windows
XP, Windows 2000SP4, Windows Server 2003/2008, Windows Vista, and
Windows 7, including 64-bit versions. [I use VIPRE Internet
Security 2013 [ http://terryscomputertips.com/VIPREInternetSecurity
] which includes their firewall and additional functions.]

System and File Backup

True Image 2013 [ http://terryscomputertips.com/Acronis ]
for system backups — make your own restore image files with your
data and programs. Restore files, folders or complete partitions.
New 2013 version just released!

Discounts for Upgrades [ http://terryscomputertips.com/Acronis ]

Karen's Replicator [ http://www.karenware.com ]
for file synchronization
Free for non-business use

Popular Articles at Terry's Computer Tips

Cleaning Up The Start Menu [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/cleaning-up-the-start-menu/
]

Inexpensive and Free Dialup Internet Service Providers [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/inexpensive-and-free-dialup-internet-service-providers/
]

What is CPU Usage and How Can I Reduce It? [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/what-is-cpu-usage-and-how-can-i-reduce-it/
]

Keeping Your Digital Pictures - What Kind of Backup Is Best [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/keeping-your-digital-pictures-what-kind-of-backup-is-best/
]

Do I Need an Uninterruptible Power Supply UPS? [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/do-i-need-an-uninterruptible-power-supply-ups/
]

Disadvantages of a Notebook Computer [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/disadvantages-of-a-notebook-computer/
]

SD Memory Card Not Recognized When Inserted Into Computer [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/sd-memory-card-not-recognized-when-inserted-into-computer/
]

High Speed Internet Options Without Cable or DSL [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/high-speed-internet-options-without-cable-or-dsl/
]

Comment about this newsletter [
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/newsletters/terrys-computer-tips-newsletter-april-7-2013/
]
Unsubscribe from this Newsletter [
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?zIysTKyMtKxMDByM7IyMtEa0jBxMDBwsHGw= ]
Terry Stockdale
http://www.terryscomputertips.com
15688 Malvern Hill Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70817, USA

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?zIysTKyMtKxMDByM7IyMtEa0jBxMDBwsHGw=

If any time you wish to be unsubscribed from our Mailing List, please
send a message to
sayeverything-requ...@sayeverything.org
with the subject unsubscribe keeping the message body blank.

please visit the list home page at
http://sayeverything.org/mailman/listinfo/sayeverything_sayeverything.org

Website: http://www.sayeverything.org