If your standing facing the sun in the morning you are facing the east, your left hand side is north and right hand side is south. If your mobile has a built-in GPS system you can use loadstone or any other such software.

-----Original Message----- From: Syed Imran
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2013 9:53 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] How to make sense of directions - east, west, north and south

Hi,

Two things - Firstly, What is the best way of determining the directions
manually?

I'm a born totally blind and Until now I was finding it difficult to
understand where do east, west, north and south lie exactly relative to my
current position. I don't know if I got it right even now - Tell me what you
think of it.

It's 9:45 in the morning here, and I can feel the warmth of the sun directly
hitting my forehead, nose and the rest of my face. So I know I'm facing east
because sun never rises on the west, north, or south.

If I'm facing east, then north must be on my right hand side, south must be
on my left hand side, and west must be exactly behind me.

Is this correct?

And secondly, is there any software to identify the directions? It should
tell me what direction my phone is facing, for instance.

Thanks