Thanks Samuel for the response.
Eventually I managed to get my facebook account linked with instant
bird. Had to do a few log ins and log outs from facebook chat to get
it going. But now interestingly, even instantbird isn't showing the
actual status of my facebook contacts. They are all shown offline.
Could it be an issue with facebook? Is it possible to address this
issue by changing any settings in facebook?
Regards,