Dear Sonu, hats off for persisting. A similar thing happened with me in
past when I was doing my MD from PGIMS Rohtak, Haryana. I had to go to my
native place in Rewari from Rohtak bus stand. My wife was traveling with me
and i am a person with mobility impairment (uses caliper in right leg).

It was a Saturday evening and bus was completely full. I saw reserved seat
for disabled occupied by few University students. I requested the conductor
to get it vacated. He refused and smiled, "do it on your own.' I said it's
your duty but he again made faces. I didn't get seat till Jajjhar. When i
reached my destination, I get down and noted the bus number and returned
back to the conductor saying, 'Please remember this face, we shall soon
meet.' He again laughed and said do whatever you can.

I wrote letters to both bus depots but as usual there was no response. I
than followed it up with RTI and this time they had to respond. They said
that the conductor has been transferred to Jind Depot and thereby the
matter is closed. I replied back how can you close the matter when there is
a written complaint. I wrote to Transport Ministry in Chandigarh and
followed it up with reminders. A letter came from Jind Depot asking me to
appear in person and I went all the way to Jind to reinforce my case.
Finally after 1 and a half year, one fine day the gentleman came running to
my medical college. He apologised and said he is going to retire soon and
because of the complaint and service rules his pension will be stopped.

I asked him to come again and made sure he waited. Two days later i took
back my complaint on the condition that he will never ever repeat the same
in what ever limited days he has at service. It might look a futile
exercise to follow up a case for 1 and half years with numerous letters,
RTI as well as personal appearance at Jind bus depot but I believe, we have
to fight for our dignities. Being a person with locomotor disability does
not mean I cannot stand up for my rights.

You did very well Sonu and I am sure time will certainly change. We shall
fight these attitudinal barriers together.

--
Dr Satendra Singh, MD, MBBS
Coordinator, Enabling Unit, EOC