Dear Ruchi Aunty,

I have used both Mac, and Windows.

Learning to use Voice Over takes some time, and primarily I say so
because in Voice Over the shortcuts comprise of 3 or 4 keys together.
For example, Control, options, and page down lets you read the next
Paragraph. Whereas in Windows its normally a 2-key press thing with
all screen readers.

Second big consideration for me is that for Voice Over you will not
receive updates unless the system update is available, because it is
built In into the system as a system app. This is a huge consideration
for me, because if there are dynamic changes in some of the apps, you
can expect the screen reader companies to launch a fix. Otherwise you
can always liaise with the support of these company to design a
customized fix for you.

Thirdly, I could not use MS Office and certain third party apps with
Voice Over for advance tasks. In general, some utility apps of third
parties still don't have the accessibility. Of course since Windows
has come a long way, it is better in that sense. So I can hope that in
future Voice Over will be more accessible with third party apps as
well.

Due to the accessibility limitations at the moment, I cannot suggest
you to switch Aarijeet completely on to Mac, however if you want to
give him a flavor and if you decide to let him stay on Mac in future,
then you need to make sure that for the time-being he uses both
Windows (wherever required) and Mac. There is a utility called Bootcam
which lets you install Windows on Mac.

Having said all of this, using Voice Over is not discomforting, once
you get use to of it. But due to the above limitations, we can't
switch to it as a full fledged OS for our needs.

Let me know if you need further help with this.

Amar Jain.
Website: www.amarjain.com

Time to meet up again!
Register for AccessIndia Convention 2014: