Sir: Please find I am pasting below a letter witch was sent to RBI by AICB in this regard. In this connection I request Hon. Coordinator: Sr. Adv. Shri. S. K. Rungta All India Disability Alliance to put this point in the proposed draft on RPD bill.

Shri. B.P. Vijayendra,

Chief General Manager,

Department of Currency Management,

Reserve Bank of India,

4th floor, Amar Building,

Sir P.M. Road, fort,

Mumbai - 400 001.

Sub: Hardships Faced By Visually Impaired And Certain Other Categories In Accessing Coins-Remedial Action Solicited.

Sir,

We write to invite your kind attention to the confusion, uncertainty and the resultant limitations in full participation in community life for the visually impaired and various other disability categories, because of complete lack of uniformity in the issuance of currency coins.

2. The dilemma we face is that user-requirements regarding uniformity of shape/size/ weight, which are so crucial to us for independent access and use of these coins, are totally and repeatedly overlooked by the concerned authorities. As a consequence, new coins of the same or different denominations keep appearing which are quite similar to each other and, hence, difficult to recognize tactually or even with restricted vision.

3. We give below a few illustrations of how confusing the situation tends to become in differentiating one coin from the other for us :

3.1. There are two or three coins of the same denomination with differing shapes; e.g. one, two, five Rupee coins. By the time persons with visual impairment and also others get used to recognizing one type of coin, another coin of the same denomination is brought out in different size.

3.2. Similarly, certain coins of different denominations are quite similar in shape/size, making it extremely difficult to tell with reasonable speed and certainty its actual denomination. Coins of ten-Rupee and One-Rupee are cases in point.

3.3. This lack of uniformity and a clear-cut policy gives rise to avoidable dependence inhibiting equality of opportunities and full participation for the disabled-the very hallmarks of the PWD Act.

4. May we further submit that these accessibility problems regarding coins are not confined to just the visually impaired? These adversely impact independent functioning of a large segment of our population - the print disabled, senior citizens etc.

5. As you would appreciate, this haphazard issuance of coins leading to hardships for the disabled population is a gross violation of their human rights in terms of Article 9 1 of the UNCRPD which calls upon States Parties to take appropriate measures to ensure persons with disabilities access, inter-alia, to "other facilities and services open or provided to the public..". It also violates Article 19 (c) of the Convention which requires undertaking of measures to ensure that : "community services and facilities for the general population are available on an equal basis to persons with disabilities and are responsive to their needs".

Availability of easily accessible coins is an important part of "public services and facilities" referred to in the aforesaid Articles and, hence, there is an urgent need for appropriate intervention.

In view of the foregoing submissions we approach you with the request to kindly take up this accessibility issue with the concerned authorities. What we need, in our opinion, is a clear recognition by the concerned authorities of the requirements of the disabled population with regard to easy recognition of coins by laying down a clear policy or set of principles. This may consist of observing the well-recognized best practices of "The same shape for the same-denomination coins", "Avoiding similar shapes for different denomination coins", "Ease of tactual perception" , "Proper colour contrast" etc.

As submitted earlier, the suggested access practices would have far-reaching benefits for other categories of disabilities and the general population as well.

A copy of the World Blind Union External Resource Paper on Accessible Notes and Coins is enclosed for ready reference.

Thanking you,

Yours truly,

----- Original Message ----- From: "amritpal singh" <amritpa...@gmail.com> To: "AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issuesconcerning thedisabled." <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>