At the same time,, I think, we need to ask the crucial question: to
whom such memberships are useful more? to the blind or the particular
political party? I don't deny the importance of political engagement,
but such widely-advertised membership-drives of our electoral parties
demand a critical view in terms of whom do they benefit, for what
purpose such moves are taken up and the real place of the disabled and
our concerns within the realm of these parties' electoral calculation
and political games. For instance, how far these newly joint visually
impaired members of BJP will be able to lobby for a better RPD bill?

On 12/19/14, avinash shahi <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Certainly, as far as Blindpeople and their advocacy is concerned,
> interesting developments taking place these days in the capital.
> if I could also.... But?
>
> http://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/visually-impaired-people-take-oath-as-bjp-members-in-new-delhi-114120300965_1.html
> As a part of the Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) ongoing Sadasya
> Abhiyan drive, which aims to boost the number of members of the
> organisation, its president Amit Shah on Wednesday inducted a group of
> visually impaired people to the party.
>
> "With the BJP Sadasya Abhiyan going on, many people have joined the
> party. The government is working for the differently-abled persons so
> that they can have a respectful position in the society," Shah said at
> the occasion of World Disability Day.
>
> "I assure you that you will get utmost respect in the party and will
> also get a chance to work according to your own abilities," he added.
>
> The party's new affiliates assured that their disability is not an
> obstacle.
>
> "For the previous government, the slogan of inclusive society was just
> something that they said but never worked towards. With the BJP, we
> can say that that is not the case. We will participate in the party's
> activities as soldiers of the party. Our disability will not be an
> obstacle and we will prove to be an asset for the party and perform
> all our duties," one of the new inductees said to the assembled.
>
> This comes after noted playback singer Kumar Sanu had formally joined
> the BJP in the presence of Amit Shah on Tuesday.
>

> --
> Avinash Shahi
> Doctoral student at Centre for Law and Governance JNU
>
> Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!

"THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE IS NOT HATRED, BUT INDIFFERENCE"
MURUGANANDAN.K
Ph.D Scholar,
Department of English,
Pondicherry University,
puducherry-14
mobile:+919787871008.

Clean India Campaign: Let us also chip in!