I'm totally confused. I've seen also many orthopadically handicapped, many ladies with small kids, are also begging in local trains and traffic signals. Still, why only we blind are being noticed and being shown in many of the movies? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dinesh Kaushal" <dkaus...@sapient.com> To: "AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerningthe disabled." <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2014 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Lets discuss: Acting blind to beg on Delhi streetsearned him 5 seconds of fame

Well, if a story demands a blind beggar, then it is ok to do so.

But what we want is a richer depiction of persons with disabilities. So there are blind adventurers, software professionals, teachers and trainers, lawyers, Marketing professionals, financial professionals, NGO professionals, entrepreneurs, beggars etc.

The above list is not exhaustive, so please excuse me if I missed anyone. but what I mean is that there should not be a single story about disability. It should be multidimentional. It should be about our day to day life with or without disability.

And one more point, the picture is not complete without showing a blind or person with another disability as a legitimate romantic partner. Often people with disabilities are either seen as totally useless or so exhaulted that ordernary social life is not possible.

To make that posible, we have to live our life under regular circumstances. We need to be doing stuff that others do such as shopping, excersising, going for trips, raising kids and being romantic!

Appologies to mention that again, covert affairs also shows the blind techy guy interested in girls same as any other guy could have been. I am yet to see similar role for a blind girl! Oh no, lafangey parindey was close.

Best
Dinesh
Mobile: +91 9718328272
“Knowledge is a process of piling up facts; wisdom lies in their simplification”. --Martin Fischer