http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31812&articlexml=Bengal-para-athletes-reveal-their-nightmare-28032015021039
Kolkata
TIMES NEWS NETWORK
No Separate Toilets For Male And Female Participants In Ghaziabad

Not many in Bengal would have heard of Rubia Chatterjee. A
para-athlete from Halisahar, she won three gold medals in the
recently-held National championships in Ghaziabad.
Back home, Rubia should have been basking in the glory of her
odd-defying exploits in the March 20-22 meet. Instead, what the
athlete with a disability in her right leg, below the knee, as well as
other medal-winners from the state are talking about is a harrowing
tale of "inhuman, unthinkable experience."

Ever since TOI threw light on the shabby facilities provided to
participants, more details have been emerging of the ill-treatment
meted out to the athletes at the Ghaziabad championship -organized
under the umbrella of Paralympic Committee of India (PCI).

"We were put up in a partially constructed building. There were no
proper beds for us and we had to sleep on floors. More shockingly , we
had to stay awake on the first night because the beds got wet and
floors flooded following leakage in the pipeline. There was nobody to
help us till the pipeline got repaired the next afternoon," Rubia said
on Friday .

Lila Saha, who won gold in discus throw, had another horrific story to
narrate. "There were no separate toilets for males and females. Also,
the doors in the rooms allotted to female athletes didn't have latches
and male athletes from some other states often entered our rooms,
taking us by surprise. We have been debating about women's safety in
recent times. What about this?" asked Lila, who lost her left limb
when she was just nine.

Somnath Malo, an Asian gold medallist in a wheelchair event, was
shocked to see what was on offer.The athletes on wheelchair were put
up on the first floor, instead of the ground floor, and there was no
passage for them to move up. "We used to crawl across the stairs to
get into our room while other athletes offered help in carrying the
wheelchairs," said Malo, who won the 100m race on crutch in Ghaziabad.

Bengal sent an 11-member squad to the meet and returned with eight
gold and one silver medal. The top two in each event have qualified
for the International Para Open Games, to be held in New Delhi from
May 2-9.

Bhaskar Mukherjee, a former international para-athlete and now Bengal
Paralympic Association secretary, had accompanied the athletes to
Ghaziabad. He felt the choice of the venue for such a meet left a lot
to be desired.

"It's a harrowing journey since the beginning. We reached Ghaziabad
via train at around 2 am (on March 19). The organizers were supposed
to send a car early in the morning, but it came only at midday. What
was allotted for us as breakfast was served as lunch. The dish
included oily puri, simple dal and boiled potatoes with spices
sprinkled on them. On eaten that, most of our athletes fell sick and
complained of stomach upset.There was no doctor around and I had to
move out to buy medicines for them," Mukherjee told TOI.

No wonder, Saheb Hussain -a triple gold-winner in Ghaziabad -is trying
to erase the experience from memory. "I went to Ghaziabad with a
dream. Despite winning three gold medals, I still feel like crying the
moment I think about what we had to go through there," maintained the
runner with 75 per cent blindness.

The Civilian Welfare Foundation, an NGO, has come forward to help
these para-athletes. Demanding complete revamp of the PCI and direct
vigilance from Sports Authority of India at such meets in the future,
the CWF plans to raise its voice across the country against the plight
of para-athletes.

--
Avinash Shahi