Hello,

A visually impaired woman, a teacher at a primary school at a village, had a
joint salary account with her mother. Recently her mother died. The branch
manager refused to pay her salary etc from her account as, according to the
manager, she must have a legal guardian to operate the account.

She finally managed to open another salary account with another bank in her
locality. But her last month's salary is still in the said account which the
manager is not allowing her to withdraw.

I have asked her to immediately complain to the zonal office. Maybe her problem
will be solved. But I wonder how long the bank officials will consider
themselves guardians of the visually impaired and keep harassing them. Banking
service is a commercial service and, I think, we should move the consumer court
for such harassment. We should also demand some sort of penalty, in the form of
fine etc, from the bank. Otherwise they won't stop treating like this.

With best regards,
Amiyo Biswas
Cell: +91-9433464329