probably that toll person could have been cheated accidentally by you
sir without your knowledge.
we got the original circular here.

  National Highways Authority of India

  (Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways)

Rg 6, ,,re<-10, Unr,W{ •Ftr-110 075

  G-5 86, Sector-10, Dwarka, New Delhi-110075

 In   /Phone : 91-11-25074100/25074200

/Fax : 91-11-25093507 / 25093514

9441. / Ex1n.: 2223/ 2318 1246812553

  MAI/ 13013/267 /CMD-00/05-06/RTI-16   04.12.2006

Circular No. NHAI/ Commercial Operation/81

Sub. Exemption to Defence Personnel under Indian Tolls (Army & Air
Force) Act, 1901.

  In continuation to our circular No. NHA1/ Commercial Operation/18
dated 30.04.2003, enclosed please find the copy of letter no.
NH-11065/12/2003-P & M dated 15.09.2004 of the Ministry circulating
the extract of the Indian Tolls (Army as Air Force) Act 1901. It is
regarding exemption from user fee under Indian Tolls (Army 86 Air
Force) Act 1901 in addition to the exemptions allowed by the Ministry
under various notifications.

  It may please be ensured that exemptions under Indian Tolls (Army &
Air Force) Act 1901 are invariably mentioned on the display boards
installed before the fee plazas as per our circular no. 35 dated
06.01.2004.

  This iss es with the approval of the Competent Authority.

  GM (CO)

Ends. As above

  To,

  All PIUsI CMUs
Copy to

  All Members

  All CGMs/ CVO
All GMs

  PS to Chairman
Librarian

  ZAGM(C0)\DGM(CO) RTI\ RTI-16,Nevratan Sinah.dac

Government of India

'Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport & Highways

Department cif Road Transport & Highways

(P&M Section)

Transport Bhawan,

No.1, Parliament Street,

New Delhi 110001.

No.NH-11065/12/2003-P&M   Dated: 15.9.2004 To

I.   The Secretary (PP. D),
  All States/Union Territories.

  The Chairman,

  National Highway Authority of India,

  5&6, Sector 10, Dwarka,

  New Delhi — 110 045.

  Sub:- Exemption of Defence vehicles from payment of user's fee for
use of -section of National Highway/permanent bridge/temporary bridge
on National Highways.

Sir,
The Ministry of Defence has brought to the notice of this Ministry
that Defence personnel, their persona I vehicles Enid Civil hre
Transport employed in We service cf defence forces are facing
difficulties at Toll Collection Centre on National Highways as they
are not being allowed exemptions of fees permissible under the Indian
Tolls (Army and Air Force) Act, 1901. in different pans of the
country. The matter has been examined in consultation with the
Ministry of Law and Justice (Dept of Legal Affairs) and it has been
clarified by that Ministry that the provisions of the Indian Tolls
(Army and Air Force) are applicable to collection of tolls on National
Highways.

Extracts from the Indian Tolls (A:my and Air Force) Act, 1901 are
enclosed (Annex-I). ThiS Ministry has notified National Highways
(collection of Fee by any person for use e section on National
Highways, permanent bridge/temporary bridge on National Highways) arne
idment rules 2003 vide GSA No.834(E) dated 27th October, 2001
According to these rules certain categories vehicles, including
defence vehicles, are exempted from payment of users fee given in the
notification. The details of all sueli defence vehicles/persons
exempted from payment of users fees are enclosed. (Annex-II). These
exemptions have Also been made applicable for public funded projects.

It is requested that necessary instructions may be issued to all
concerned who are responsible for fees collection, that in addition to
the exemptions allowed by the Ministry under various notifications the
exemption as permissible under Indian Tolls (Army and Air Force) Act,
! 901 are also applicable on National Highways.

Yours faithfully,

Gatti )
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
Tel: 23710450

Copy for necessary aciion forwarded to:
  Chief Engineer (PWD), All States.

  All R.O.s, Minister of Road Transport & Highways.

  All Chief Engineers, Ministry of Road Transport & Highways

Copy for information forwarded to:
1.
U. Gen. A Natarajan, Adjutant General, Army Headquarters, DHQ PO, New

Delhi w.r.t. his letter No.P/80377/JAG, dated 18.6.2003.

(KR. Gatti)
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India
Tel: 23710450

  ANNEXURE-I

  As per Section 3.„of Indian Tolls (Aty and Air Force) Act, 2001, the
following Defence persons and proTerty are exempted from payment of
users fee:

  (a)   All officers, soldiers and airmen of —

  the regular forces

  any irregular Corps

  (b)   All members of.the territorial army or of the National Cadet
Corps when on duty or when proceeding to or returning from duty.

  (c)   All officers, soldiers and airmen of the Indian reserve forces
when proceeding frorn their place or then residence on being called
ott for service, training, or muster of when proceeding back to their
place ofeesident after such service, training or muster

  (d)   all authorized followers of —

  the regular forces

  the territorial anny or the National Cadet Corps

  any irregular Corps

  (e)   all Members of the family of officers, soldiers, air men or
authorized followers of

  (the regular forces)

  or any irregular Corps when accompanying any body of troops, or any
officer, soldier, airmen or authorized follower theirof on duty or on
the march.

  all prisoner under military or air force escort.

  the carriages, horse and baggage,. and the persons (if any) employed
in driving the carriage, the • •ô ge, 01 any persons exempted under
any of the foregoing clauses, when such carriages, horses, baggage, or
persons accompanying the persons- so exempted under the
circumstances-mentioned in those clauses respectively.

  all carriages and horses belonging to government or employed (in the
Indian) military (or air force) service and all persons in charge a or
accompanying the same, when conveying any such persons as hereinbefore
in this section mentioned or when conveying baggage or stores, or when
returning, unladen from conveying such persona, baggage or stores;

  all carriages and horses when moving under the orders of military
(or air force) authority for the purpose of being employed cm the
Indian) military (or air force) service.

  0)   all animals accompanying any body of troops which are intended
to be slaughtered for food or kept for any purpose connected with the
provisioning of such troops, and

  (k)   all persons in charge of any carriage, horse or animal
exempted under any of the foregoing clauses when accompanying the same
under the circumstances mentioned in those clauses respectively.

  shall be exempted from paymnt of any users fee while on vehicle for
use of Section of Nation:41 I-Bonny:iv% ineriminent Bruloedemnoracv
Iffidoe on National Hiahwavs.

  Otherwise demandable by irixtue of any Act, Ordinance, Regulation,
order or direction of any legislature or other public authority in
Indiai

  Explanation — the persons or property exempted under clauses (d),
(e), (g) and (i) shall be deemed to accompany the Forces, troops,
persons or property concerned, when the move of the former is the
direct result of, or is connected with the move of the latter,
irrespective of the interval of space and time between the two moves.

MINISTRY OF ROAD TRANSPORT AND HIGHWAYS
  NOTIFICATION

  NEW Delhi, the 27th October, 2003

  G.S.R. 843(1).— In exercise of the pow. .conferred by section 9,
read with section 8A of the National Highways. Act, 1956 (48 of 1956),
the Central Government hereby makes the following rules further to
amend the National Highways (Collection of Fees by any person for the
use of Section of National Highway/permanent bridgthempdrary bridge on
National Highway) Rules, 1997, namely :••

  (I) 'These rules may be called the National Highways (Collection of
Fees by any person for the use of Section of National Highways/
permanent bridge/temporary bridge on National Highway) Amendment
Rules, 2003.

  (2) They shall come into force on the date of their publication in
the Official Gazette.

  2.   in the National Highways (Collection of Fees by any person for
the use of Section

  of National Highways/pennanent bridge/temporary bridge on National
Highway)Rules, 1997, in rule 5, in sub-rule(1), in the proviso, for
clause(i), the following clause shall be substituted, namely :-

  '(1) vehicles -

  (A) having "VIP' symbols;
officially belonging to -
(a) President of India;

Vice-President of India;

  Governor of a State or Lt. Governor of a Union Territory;

  a Foreign Dignitary on State visit to India;

  a Foreign diplomat stationed in India using cars with 'Cfl"/"CC'
number plates;

  Chairman of Rajya Sabha or Speaker of Lok Sabha or Chairman of a
State Legislative Council or Speaker of a State Legislative.Assembly
or a Minister for the Union or State, or Leaders of Opposition in Lok
Sabha or Rajya Sabha or State Legislatures having the status of
Cabinet Minister, if he is sitting in the vehicle; or

  a Member of Parliament, in the entire country, or a Member of
Legislative Assembly of a State. or a Member of Legislative Council of
a State, in the respective State, if he produces his identity card
issued by the Parliament or concerned Legislature of a State,as the
case may be;

  (13) belonging to winner of Gallantry awards such as Param Vir
Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Kirti Chios, Viz Cbakra and
Shaurya Chakra, if such awardee produces his photo identity :ad duly
authenticated by the Competent Authority for such award.'

  [F. Na. N11-11065/15/2002-MMI ALOK LkWAI it. Secy.

  Footnote The principal notification was published in the Gazette of
India vide C.S.R. No. 62(E), dated 6.2.1997 and amended Vide
Notification G.S.R No.336(E) dated 13.4.2000.

r. aravind,

D R O in bank of baroda,

mobile no: +91 9940369593,
email id : aravind_...@yahoo.com, aravind.andhrab...@gmail.com.