Kathleen Moriarty <kathleen.moriarty.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Mohit Sethi <mohit.m.se...@ericsson.com> wrote:
    >> > designed/developed/specified for their use-case. I could definitely
    >> > see some IoT startup building a solution that switches on the lights
    >> > in a room as soon as you unlock the door (thus keeping them in the
    >> > same group).
    >>
    >> Or perhaps more usefully, turning the lights (and the oven) off when you
    >> leave the house.

    > Good points, but you could do this without them being in the same
    > group with some controller that managed the interactions with each.
    > This would be a good set of examples for the security considerations
    > sections, providing guidance to use a controller rather than group
    > keys to perform useful functions like these.

I agree.
Perhaps we could convince Mike St.Johns to write that section?

And ACE has the right mechanisms to make this work well.

We've had a thread now on performance of asymmetrical crypto, and it seems
that controllers ought to be able to talk to other controllers quickly enough
to make this workable.

We should also consider whether we can use hash-chains, like S/KEY did, to
authenticate messages that should only go out in emergencies.  Such messages
would clearly *need* to be multicast, but once used, they can never be
reused.  They can't be originated by more than one sender though.... so it's
really the message stored by the "EMERGENCY STOP" button.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-