From: Stefanie Gerdes <ger...@tzi.de>
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2021 8:51 AM
To: Daniel Migault <daniel.miga...@ericsson.com>; Daniel Migault
<mglt.i...@gmail.com>; Francesca Palombini <francesca.palomb...@ericsson.com>
Cc: Göran Selander <goran.selander=40ericsson....@dmarc.ietf.org>; Russ Mundy
<mu...@tislabs.com>; Olaf Bergmann <bergm...@tzi.org>; ace@ietf.org
<ace@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ace] secdir review of draft-ietf-ace-dtls-authorize-14

Hi Daniel,

On 02/16/2021 04:53 PM, Daniel Migault wrote:

> Section 5:
> OLD
> "Profiles MUST specify a communication security protocol that provides
>    the features required above."
> NEW
> "Profiles MUST specify at least one communication security protocol that
> provides the features required above."
>
> <mglt>
> I have the impression that with MUST specify one expects a mandatory protocol
> to be provided. Would the following text be acceptable ?
>
> NEW2:
> "Profiles RECOMMENDs at least one communication security protocol that
> provides the features required above."
> </mglt>

I don't understand it like that but I see your point. But I think
"RECOMMENDS" leaves too much wiggle room :). The profiles could then
omit the protocols completely, which I think is a bad idea. Implementers
should have at least one example how the communication between C and AS
is protected. Since we don't provide it in the framework we must have it
in the profiles. How about:

NEW3:
"Profiles MUST specify at least one communication security protocol that
provides the features required above as an example how the respective
communication can be secured."

Viele Grüße
Steffi