Hi Daniel & others,

Thanks for the continuing effort to make the documents more clear and
understandable.

I think that there may be a fairly fundamental difficulty understanding
(possibly on my part) about the intended relationship between the ACE framework
and profile documents.  It seems appropriate to me that the framework would
define the overall requirements (especially security requirements) that
implementers need to meet and profiles provide the ‘how’ for implementers so
the result is secure, interoperable implementations potentially from multiple
different implementers of the framework using a particular profile for that
framework.

If I’m following the discussion correctly, the changes being proposed to the
framework would only require a profile to define one ‘example (or description)’
definition that met the security requirements of the framework (even if it was
the RECOMMENDED protocol set) but other protocol set(s) could be used (MAY)
within the definition of a profile.  Including what amounts to unspecified
protocol set(s) that do not define how they will meet security requirements of
the framework will likely result in different implementations that comply with
the profile but do not interoperate from either a protocol or a security basis
(or both).

Regards,
Russ