On 8/28/06, Ben Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Carlos Sanchez wrote:
>
> >> Ben, does eclipse automatically recognize the source code when it is
> >> distributed inside the compiled Jar?
> >
> > I don't think so and I don't really like that approach because if you
> > provide the sources, why don't provide the javadocs too?
>
> Eclipse DOES automatically recognise if there is source code in the JAR.
>  To see this in action, download GWT and then add its gwt-user.jar to
> your project. Then do a CTRL+ALT+T for GWT's "Panel".

good to know

> To answer Ray's earlier question, we don't need to advertise to users
> that this is available because their IDE (well, Eclipse anyway) will
> automatically just do it for them.
>
> I don't think there's any benefit providing JavaDocs in the JARs given
> the source code offers the JavaDocs anyhow and it would bloat the size.

I still don't like adding the source for the same reason. A jar is a
jar to execute, if you want to develop with sources here they are the
jars with the sources. If everybody adds the sources to their jars
you'd get huge applications.

If you want to do it in the distribution that is manually downloed go
for it, but please make jars for the maven repo without sources.

> Cheers
> Ben

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.