I'm fine with having the client generate the object, but I think I'd be more
comfortable if the data that the client had to provision for the challenge
was deterministic, less for cryptographic reasons but simply to make it
easier to reason about the protocol properties.

Maybe this is a case for a non-JSON encoding.

-Ekr