well My idea would be:
display the most restrictive by default.
add option to list all.
about the code vs readable message I would think of a hybrid approach.
apply a code and a message.
the code coule be used so the client if it knows it that it could e.g.
translate it into different languges etc. and the embedded message copes
with all clients that dont know the code yet, also add a code for "other"
which can be used for stuff that doesnt have a code yet