I support moving forward with the document.

However I think the treatment of the acme-methods (or validation-methods) param is inconsistent, before and certainly after Richard's PR. The original draft only allows ACME methods and the special name "non-acme". This leaves the responsibility to ensure names are well defined with the IETF.

If we allow mixing ACME methods with CA-defined methods per Richard's proposal, we should make sure that there is no overlap. And even if names are defined by individual CAs, the CA should provide a precise definition of each validation method. IMO there are two good options:

- Define an IANA registry for the validation-methods values. (This is simple enough, and would be my preference). - Define an IANA registry for prefixes (such as "cabf" mentioned in Richard's text) and specify that everything else must be defined by ACME.

Thanks,
    Yaron

https://github.com/ietf-wg-acme/acme-caa/pull/2