On Fri, Jul 07, 2023 at 10:06:15AM +1000, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
> - The main problem solved in my draft was: "in this /network
>   environment/, what ACME servers can/should I use?"  The CAA-based
>   proposal answers a different question: "for this /domain/, what
>   ACME server should I use?"  But (a) why would a domain owner need
>   to control this, and (b) it doesn't actually solve the problem
>   stated in the abstract:
>
>   > This often leaves domain owners at the mercy of their hosting
>   > provider as to which Certification Authorities (CAs) can be used.
>
>   The hosting provider can still control which ACME servers can be
>   reached, regardless of the preferences expressed via CAA records.

With respect to (a) - never mind.  I thought about it some more and
the answer is obvious.  Where a CA authorization (i.e. restriction)
exists in the form of a CAA record, it is useful to be able to
direct a client to the authorized issuer(s) for the affected
domain(s).

I see that your draft solves a real problem.  But it does not help
much in enterprise environments, where the question is often "find
me /some/ ACME server that I can reach/use, or which the
administrators prefer".  Two different problems, two complementary
approaches.

Thanks,
Fraser