-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Barber, Tom
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2001 11:17 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Hiding Account Names

We use a Personal ID Number that is generated internally.  This info is
stored in the EmployeeID property in the Active Directory.  I have been
investigating various means of "hiding" this property, with mixed success.
Basically the number means nothing except when on campus, so we really
haven't compromised anyone's privacy.

State Universities in New York are mandated by law NOT to use the SSN in ANY
publicly accessible format.  I would surmise other states have also mandated
this, or will be in the near future.

-Tom Barber
Systems Manager
Alfred State College