That's because AD and NDS/eDir handle rights inheritence in different ways.
In NDS, inherited rights are calculated at evaluation time, i.e., when the
system tries to determine if an object has a specific right, it checks the
object and then walks the tree upward to check for inherited rights. This
makes rights changes very fast (there's only one update), but rights lookups
slower.

In AD, inherited rights are evaluated at update time, i.e., when you change
a right, AD propagates the inherited rights down the tree. This makes rights
changes slower, but makes rights lookups much faster.

Given that directories are subject to much more frequent reads than rights,
the AD scheme should be more effective. On the other hand, write operations
are generally slower than read operations, so the NDS scheme is potentially
more efficient because it trades AD's multiple write operations for multiple
read operations.

You can find benchmarks that convincingly support either view <g>.

-gil

Gil Kirkpatrick
Chief Technology Officer, NetPro
Author of "Active Directory Programming" from MacMillan

Got eBook? Get your free Active Directory Troubleshooting eBook at:
http://www.netpro.com/ebook