Wes -
Kevin is exactly correct that an in-place upgrade will perfectly preserve any garbage
that's in your existing domain, and many folks use the move to AD as a perfect
opportunity to make a fresh start.  However, if you're happy with your original domain
and just need to get to AD, the in-place upgrade works very well, is transparent to
your users, and does not require you to spend a bunch of cash on a migration tool
(sorry, Kevin !).

As some other posters mentioned, the exact process depends on whether you're re-using
the original server hardware or replacing it.  If you're replacing hardware, you can
add one of the new servers as a NT4 BDC, promote it to PDC, and upgrade that (the PDC
must be the first server upgraded to W2K).  Then install your second new server as a
W2K member server and dcpromo.  We don't like having 'upgraded' servers in our
network, so we took the additional step of moving the FSMOs from the upgraded PDC to
the other new DC and rebuilding the first DC from scratch.

If you plan to keep any BDCs online, you'll need to stay in mixed mode and put a
system in place to keep the netlogon shares in sync between a DC and the BDCs.

Before the upgrade, we used NT4 system policies to lock down many of the desktops, and
this worked for both NT4 and W2K clients.  As soon as the W2K clients realize that AD
is available, they ignore this and want to use GPO instead.  You want to make sure
you're ready for this, and have your GPOs ready to go.

In any case, make sure to test the plan in the lab - make sure you know where you will
install DNS, where to point the DNS resolver for each server at each step of the
upgrade, etc.  We temporarily installed an extra BDC in the production domain, then
removed it and put it on an isolated lab network and promoted it to PDC so we had an
identical test bed.  We ghosted this so we could try the upgrade over and over til we
had the plan down cold.

Worked well for us (single domain, 30+ BDCs, thousands of clients).  Didn't have to
touch any of the clients except to test that they could still authenticate, pull
policies/profiles, etc. (yes, they all worked).

Dave