Great news Guido, and an answer to a post someone made from a month ago.  Thanks.

"GRILLENMEIER,GUIDO (HP-Germany,ex1)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

03/26/2003 03:22 PM
Please respond to ActiveDir

        To:        "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: [ActiveDir] Restart/Start Services Right

Oh yes, I've set this up for many customers.  There are no drawbacks by placing the DCs in OUs underneath the Domain Controller OU. You should definitely stick to the rule, not to change any setting in the Sub-OU GPO, that you are also setting in the Default Domain Controllers GPO.

There used to be a supportability issue from Microsoft with this approach, but they're currently changing their mind as it's the only way to achieve specific administrative goals in an AD environment. E.g. we're also using the Sub-OU approach to grant local admins the permissions/user right to shut down "their" DC (and no other DC). This is important in the event of NIC failures or whatever, where the central admins can't reach the machine... And they have physical access to the box anyways, which is much more of a security hole, if you so want.

I'm still waiting for an official statement from MS on the supportability, but we've been using this solution very successfully ever since the introduction of AD...

/Guido