Title: RE: [ActiveDir] Password Complexity

<picking thru cluttered brain>

It seems like Roger Seielstad has given warnings about this issue. Roger?

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Murray [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 3:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've not heard of an issue like this.  In fact I've seen situations where user accounts have been migrated along with weaks passwords from Windows NT 4.0 domains to an AD domain with password complexity enabled.  When the users subsequently change the password in the AD domain there is no issue.

It could be an over simplification, but I think this has to do with the password itself not being stored - just the hash.  From the hash information the system is unable to determine whether old password meets the password complexity (or indeed other password policies) or not.  Because of this there should never be a problem with the old password not meeting the new password policy requirements.

There were some fixes for certain password issues included in SP3, so it would be good to make sure you are not running SP2 or earlier.

Tony
  _____