Title: Message

Well say we are talking perhaps 20 remote offices of a hundred or so systems per office.

Isnt the DNS information replicated anyway to all DCs within AD even if the DC isn't a DNS Server?  Or am I missing something?

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Kingslan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:
Monday, July 14, 2003 1:23 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Quick AD integrated DNS question :)

We backed up on the DNS issue.  When first deployed, it was DNS with DC - always.  We have since done exhaustive studies that show that the traffic on the ATM was not worth the added headaches in a 30+ remote site (Branch office - with some office locations exceeding 1000 seats) of DNS everywhere at least, in our experience.

In fact, our DNS has evolved to the point that our corporate DNS is BIND 9.x and our AD is on Win2k (soon to be Win2k3).  We have less problems now with DNS (and AD as a whole) than we EVER did when it was spread out over three continents.

My .02.....

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert