Ok here's how I got things working but I don't know if this is the best way to do things. On the office network, they use the ips of 192.168.0.X/24 and at home network I use the same, 192.168.0.X/24. Problem is, when I was logging in the VPN I got two IP addresses, one from my home like 192.168.0.7 and one from the VPN 192.168.0.150. Now, when I was trying to connect to another computer or server I guess my computer gets confused when I say connect to 192.168.0.1 and it try's to connect to my network which I don't want it to. So basically what I had to do was change the IP addresses on my network to use a different range, now my network is 10.0.0.1/8 while the office uses 192.168.0.X/24 so when I connect to the VPN and I tell it to connect to 192.168.0.20 it then knows which network to use. Is there a better way to do this rather than changing my home network configuration? Maybe subnets or something?

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 05:37 AM, Andries Thijssen wrote:

Richard,

We use an L2TP VPN, so disclaimers apply. But by default after making the connection the VPN tunnel is used as the default route. (This can be disabled in the advanced TCP/IP properties of the VPN connection.)

You use only one NIC in the RRAS server? I expect at least two: one connected to the internet and one connected to your internal network.

When connected, using the client can you ping hosts on your internal network by name? If you run ipconfig /all on your client, do you have an IP address from your office LAN?
If not, on your VPN server, go to routing & remote access, right-click the server name -> properties, access the tab for IP. Make sure the proper adapter is selected for 'Use the following adapter to obtain DHCP, DNS and WINS addresses for dial-up clients'. Otherwise the server cannot contact the DHCP server and will give out addresses in that 19x.x.x.x range that Windows 2000 and XP default to, which in turn screws up your routing.

Andries

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Sumilang [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26 July 2003 09:43
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] Windows 2000 VPN

Rick,

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 11:21 PM, Rick Kingslan wrote:

Richard,

Thinking about this for a few minutes while I was working on something
else
made me think that there might be something else that is being missed.
 What
is the configuration of the NICs in the RRAS server?  You only have
one with
a default gateway configured, correct? And the other gateway is
configured
via the 'route' comand, yes?

I only have one NIC on my server and only one configuration to the gateway. I don't have another gateway conifgured via the route command.

Windows is only capable of handling one default gateway through the
GUI.
The rest have to be configured through route statements.  Could this
be a
part of the problem?  I suspect that you're having an easy time
getting TO
the RRAS box over the external connection, but nothing is getting out
to the
internal network because it has no path that it can follow.

This could be the whole problem since I didn't know I have to configure any route commands. You're right on the dot when it comes to no external data getting out of the network.

Does this make sense?  If you have 4 NICs in a RRAS box, only one can
have a
DG configured - the other three must be set via route command
statements.

Well I only have 1 NIC?

Rick Kingslan  MCSE, MCSA, MCT
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
Associate Expert

-----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard Sumilang Sent: Friday, July 25, 2003 9:48 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: [ActiveDir] Windows 2000 VPN

Ok heres the deal. I set up Microsoft's VPN Service with the wizard
provided
when going to the Routing and Remote Access program. I thought just
following that and testing that the client connects fine is all I
needed to
do. I set the router to forward all data coming from port
1723 to the server also. I just got home, start up my personal computer
running Windows 2000 and create a VPN connection to the office and it
connected and authenticated my user information fine.

Now heres the problem, I thought when I VPN into a network it is like
actually physically being their with your computer so thus I should be
able to ping and connect to shared files on the network but I cant? I
don't see
anything?!?!?!?! All I get is this little monitor connection sitting
in my
system tray saying that I am connected. I also thought it would be
interesting to check the IP I am when I go to the internet and it gave
the
office's IP http://www.whatismyip.com/ and my internet IP when I
disconnect
so thus I know something is working.

Can anyone help me with this problem? I want to be able see all the
computers on the network, ping them, and access shares.

Thanks
- Richard S.