Hi folks,

Seems like thank you notes are in order all around:

Dave, for the kind words.  :-)

Dean, for the update regarding Windows 2003, and in particular the fact
that it can replicate 'cleared intruder lockout' urgently.

Dèjì, for the pointer to acctinfo.dll, which lets administrators reset a
user's password and clear lockout on the user's home site, rather than
centrally.

Two more short notes:

  1) acctinfo.dll is very good at what it does: letting an administrator
     reset a user's password and clear lockouts on the user's home site.

     If the user interface is not MMC, or there is a self-service
     UI involved, or there is need to clear the lockout on multiple
     DCs, rather than just on the home site, then acctinfo.dll is not
     quite enough.

  2) While looking for more details about acctinfo.dll, I ran across
     this helpful presentation, and would recommend it as follow-on
     reading for anyone interested in the topic of lockouts and
     passwords in AD:

     support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/ webcasts/en/wc022703/WC022703.ppt

Cheers,

- Idan

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm