The actual prognostication I heard at a Windows NT5 preview (pick your date
based on *that* statement) was that we'd have two data stores - one for
structured (i.e. SQL) data and the other for unstructured (i.e. email,
files, etc) data. So, the idea was that NTFS (version ??) would handle email
storage. Think of what's out there with RIS today for SIS in a file tree -
but on a full filesystem scale.

There's a performance penalty, quite significantly so, for variable length
fields, in databases. At some point, the system bus speeds will stop being
the bottlenecks, and they'll have to consider issues like in building data
stores.

The published information has led me to believe that its more a data storage
strategy rather than a product. I also think that there's a difference
between the front end and back end technologies, and significant benefits to
be had from building a unified front end to distict back ends. I mean, can
you imagine build your own folders??
        select mailfrom, subject, date, size from email_messages where
mailfrom = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

Or would that be:
        delete from email_messages where mailfrom = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"...

Roger D. Seielstad - MTS MCSE MS-MVP
Sr. Systems Administrator
Inovis Inc.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/list_faq.htm