From: Abbiss, Mark
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Sent: 25-9-2003 10:37
Subject: [ActiveDir] Incredibly slow log on

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem.

We have just installed a small external office with some new clients.
They
authenticate with the AD across a 512Mb fixed line. There are the
"usual"
encryption/firewall devices between the two sites.

When logging on in the office with an adminstrative account which has no
associated scripts, the logon process is quick and painless. The admin
accounts also have no roaming profiles to worry about. However, when
logging
on with a user accounts, which does have a script and roaming profile
(max
size 8MB) associated with it, the logon process can take 25 minutes and
generally the roaming profile it not successfully retrieved.

A couple of old NT cleints left in the office that authenticate with an
NT
domain controller across the same line through the same
encryption/firewall
devices have no such problems at all.

What I would like to ask is what part of the W2K environment could be
causing such slow responses across this line ? The clients are XP. Is
there
some tweak that could speed up the data exchange ? I have been
discussing it
internally and mention has been made of whether the communication is UDP
or
TCP. I have to admit complete ignorance of what this means. But it seems
communication can be defaulted to one or the other, which has an impact.
really am clueless though.

I probably wont get any replies to this but am just curious as to what
could
possibly be contributing to the problem.

Many thanks for any pointers.

Mark