No problem. I will still respond again, it is nasty out and don't feel like
doing real work (house work that is). :op

First off we used MTEC's PSYNCH, I have had a bug up my butt to write a
joeware tool, but the bug is waiting in line with other things. It may be
one of my first Dot Net Web projects I play with.

> I'm most interested in how you approached and solved the security issues
in how to absolutely and uniquely identify a user.

1. Log on with existing Windows ID and password - this is to change up front
or sync other systems or set up Q&A profile.
2. Q&A profile - You have a bunch of questions with stored responses, system
randomly asks you several of them, if you score 100% you can get in and set
your password or change your profile or sync other systems.
3. SecurID authentication - this is a self set pin with a random number
generated on a RSA SecurID FOB you carry with you. Once in you can set your
password, change your profiles, sync other systems. Also if you have a
delegated admin ID you can set the password on that account with this
option. Note that our Enterprise and Domain Admin ID's can not be handled by
this system for extremely obvious reasons.

> If everyone is subject to such a system, can it be used as a DoS tool, if
not - how did you mitigate?

The system doesn't have to be used, you can still change passwords the old
fashioned way so killing the site doesn't stop people completely. This was
one of my critical considerations.

> 1.  Sounds like a perfect conversation topic now that we've beat the shit
out of Exchange

The more I learn, the bigger the bat I get out in the morning. :op

> 2.  I'm self-serving and tried to do this only to get shot down by our Sec
Director

I don't want to be around anyone who isn't self-serving... If they aren't,
what are their goals and intentions, too difficult to figure out.

> Reasons why it got shot down are valid, but will come out during the
discussion, so I won't taint it up front.
1. Money
2. Perceived risk
3. Money
4. Not enough complaints by users that the help desk doesn't respond timely
or a management rule that is stood by strongly of no password help after
business hours.
5. Money
6. Additional server support overhead
7. ...more Money (and look here's a lovely new twenty dollar bill...)

How much more tainted can it get? Give me the reasons, let me see if I can
beat them down.

> What say you, Mr. Richards?

Dad? You here? <user turns about>.

> Are you game?  Or, just gamey?  ;p

Both, neither, one or the other, I will accept the judgement of my peers.
:o)