From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jordan, Jason [EPM/AUS]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 11:14 AM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir]

We solved this problem is two ways depending on whether the machine being modified is a server or PC.

1.  When we have to patch the 250 servers in our datacenter and its going to be too much for the 6 of us administrators to handle in a reasonable amount of time, we bring in members of the helpdesk and add them to the Domain Admins domain group.  Of course we work with these guys enough to know that they can be trusted and we remove them as soon as we are done with the patching.  There is really no way around this, unless we were to follow something similar to option 2.

2.  All of our user's PCs have a domain group called TempPCAdmin that is added to the local Administrators group on the each PC.  We do not advertise the existence of this group to our users or the rest of the IT department.  99.999% of the time this domain group has no users in it.  When we need to give a helpdesk technician access to a PC, we just add their domain user to this domain group and when they are done we remove them.  This way we don't have to give out the local PC's administrator user's password and the technician has the power to do whatever they need to do.

Of course we could eliminate option 1 if we modified all of our servers to have something similar to option 2, but that can take a very long time to do without automated tools and if we had automated tools, then we would not be in the position of needing an option 1 anyways since we could automate patching as well.  :-)  Such is life when you work at a place that doesn't like to spend money.  >:-/

jasonjordan